MongoDB is one of the most popular NoSQL databases for modern application development and Cloud database deployments on AWS, Azure, and GCP. It is used by millions of developers to power the world’s most innovative products and services.
MongoDB has also become popular among enterprise teams who appreciate the flexibility of JSON-like documents, and features such as scalability and clustering.
When there is a need to access MongoDB data for analysis within analytics applications, connectivity frequently becomes an issue.
The Magnitude Simba MongoDB connector (or Magnitude Simba MongoDB driver) allows users to create queries to MongoDB with SQL to visualize, graph, and report with modern business intelligence tools such as Tableau, MicroStrategy, Power BI, Qlik or Excel.
In this article you will learn how access your MongoDB data with the Simba Mongo ODBC connector to access the data in Tableau.
Success is based on four simple steps:
- Download and install the Simba MongoDB ODBC connector.
- Allocate the license.
- Configure the connector.
- Connect Tableau to your MongoDB data with the Simba MongoDB ODBC connector.
Now let’s dive deeper into each of the steps.
1. Download and install Simba MongoDB ODBC connector.
There are many use cases for organizations to turn to Simba Technologies. This include data security, compliance and governance needs. These organizations also find our tech-to-tech support worthwhile … among other reasons to use our connectors.
For now, let’s get started:
- To download the connector, request here the installer
- After the form is submitted a sales representative will contact you to verify the request. Following successful verification, you will receive via email a link to the installer. If you don’t whitelist @simba.com, be sure to check your spam filter and junk mail if you do not receive the email. Click the link in the email to download the driver.
- After downloading the connector, double click the MSI file to install it:
- Click next to accept the licensing agreement
- Click “Next” to provide the directory to install the driver to:
- Click “Install” to proceed to installation:
Let the installer complete the installation and click “Finish.”
- Click “Start” and go to ODBC Administrator
- Click on the System tab and look for the Simba MongoDB ODBC DSN. Select it and press “Configure” to go to the Simba MongoDB ODBC DSN setup window
- In the DSN you will set the “Host” name and the “Port” number, which must match your MongoDB server
Note! If your MongoDB has an authentication setup you can configure that by using your user name and password, Kerboros or LDAP. If you don’t use any authentication – leave it with “No Authentication”. Configure other settings as well if required in your specific case: Replica set, SSL, advanced options, etc. For more details, please see our documentation.
- Test your connection. When you have completed your configuration click the “Test” buttonConnection test is successful
- Look at the TDC file in the connector installation directory. The TDC file tells Tableau how to use the connector in the most efficient way.
- Take that file and copy into the documents: “My Tableau repository / Data Sources”
Tableau will automatically find this file every time it opens
- Next, open Tableau and select “Other data bases (ODBC)”. Then, choose the DSN you just installed – Simba MongoDB ODBC DSN
- Click “Connect”
Note! Some times the DSN doesn’t have all the information saved; if this is the case, be sure toto enter the necessary information so you can connect. Such missing information might include your username and password.
- Click “Sign in”
- Now you have full access to your MongoDB in Tableau
- Take a look at all the MongoDB tables available building dashboards and diagrams, as well as analyze your data
2. Allocate the license.
Once you have installed the connector, verify that the license file in the correct location. It must be in the /lib/ folder underneath where the connector has been installed
3. Configure the Simba ODBC connector.
4. Connect Tableau to your MongoDB data with the Simba MongoDB ODBC Connector
Congratulations! Now that you have successfully connected, you’re to access your MongoDB data with the Simba MongoDB ODBC Connector.
Magnitude Simba has you covered – for your MongoDB/Tableau connection needs – and for other connectivity needs in future. Discover our resources section for more on Simba connectors. And see more data with any of 90+ Simba connectors!
For related questions and if you need help, please contact us.