HBaseCon was conveniently the day after Cassandra Summit so I added it onto last weeks’ itinerary with no additional travel amidst a rather busy June. This being the second “Con”, Michael Stack et al maintained the HBase community’s informal and inclusive feel even in a large hotel ballroom.
The opener was a series of state-of-union-type addresses which included:
- the state of the current 0.94 release
- ideas and work-in-progress for the next release, 0.96
- looking around the ecosystem
- an informative view inside HBase’s originator, Facebook
I followed the ecosystem track for the remainder of the morning which is best described as a homage to SQL:
- Hive + HBase
- Phoenix on HBase
- Impala + HBase
- Drill + HBase
I spent the afternoon on a mix of real-world deployment, panels and architectural sessions:
- HBase at Pinterest
- Panel on HBase future
- Understanding HBase’s usage of HDFS
- A healthcare vertical’s view of HBase
- Panel on HBase operations
The community aspect of HBase was very much present and helped to give the event an unconference feel. This is a good thing.
I will update this post once slides and videos are available.