Latest Release Introduces Support for Microsoft Excel 2010, Enhanced Capabilities for Teams Analyzing Oracle OLAP Data Directly from Spreadsheets
Oracle OpenWorld, San Francisco, CA – September 20, 2010
- For organizations using spreadsheets for business intelligence or reporting on data using Microsoft Office, Oracle and Simba Technologies Inc. today announced the availability of MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP 2.0.
- This new provider natively and securely connects Microsoft Excel PivotTable cross-tab and dashboard functionality with Oracle® OLAP data.
- Simba is the industry’s choice for standards-based relational and multi-dimensional data connectivity.
Latest Release Highlights New Certifications and Functionality
- The MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP 2.0 introduces:
- Support for Microsoft Excel 2010 (32-bit and 64-bit versions) to enable users to work with larger datasets;
- Support for drillthroughs within Excel which enables quick, easy access to originating data for auditing or more detailed data analysis;
- Support for visual slicers for improved dimensional filtering of complex datasets;
- Support for sparklines that enable cell-level formatting with embedded micro-charts for visual trending analysis; and,
- Integration with Excel Services 2010 or 2007 to store and share workbooks on Microsoft Sharepoint for collaboration.
- An easy to install, client-side driver, MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP 2.0 also supports Excel 2007 and 2003 as well as Oracle Database 11g Release 2 and 1.
- Oracle OLAP, an option to Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition, is a calculation engine that supports advanced analytical applications including planning, budgeting, forecasting, sales, and marketing to help identify key business trends and model complex business scenarios.
- With all Oracle OLAP data and calculations stored in Oracle Database 11g, MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP 2.0 users benefit from the database’s performance and security features.
- MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP 2.0 is built upon Simba’s leading MDX query language technology that’s embedded in several major BI vendors’ products.
- Simba Technologies Inc. is a member of the Oracle PartnerNetwork.
“Customers are capitalizing on the ease of use of MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP,” said Andy Goldberg, Vice President of Oracle OLAP Technology Management. “They’re able to model complex scenarios and identify and analyze key business trends with Oracle OLAP all from within a familiar spreadsheet environment.”
“MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP is the de facto solution for integrating the Oracle OLAP option of Oracle Database 11g with Microsoft Excel and the rest of the Microsoft Office Suite,” said Suzanne Hoffman, Simba’s Vice President of Sales. “The solution directly connects the multi-dimensional ad hoc query, analysis and reporting capabilities of Excel PivotTables to the power and security of the Oracle Database without creating an additional tier. This drives user performance.”
About Simba Technologies Inc.
Simba Technologies Inc. (http://www.simba.com) is the recognized world leader in standards-based data access products, solutions and services for both relational and multi-dimensional data sources. Simba delivers data connectivity and interoperability solutions to many of the world’s leading companies on various platforms, including Windows, Mac, UNIX and Linux. Simba’s best-in-class products support multiple interfaces, including ODBC, JDBC, OLE DB, OLE DB for OLAP (ODBO), XML for Analysis (XMLA), ADO, ADO.NET, ADOMD, and ADOMD.NET.
Simba’s software is used worldwide. Its customers include leading independent software vendors and global enterprises like Oracle®, Microsoft®, Infor®, SAP® and Teradata®.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world’s most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems company. For more information about Oracle, visit http://www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.