New Release Introduces Improved Features for Teams Analyzing Oracle OLAP Data Directly from Spreadsheets
Oracle OpenWorld, San Francisco, CA – October 3, 2011
- For organizations relying on spreadsheets for Business Intelligence (BI) or reporting on data using Microsoft Office, Oracle and Simba Technologies Inc. today announced the availability of Simba MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP 3.0.
- This latest release of the provider features new support for pre-defined data queries, new customizable report layouts, enhanced drill-through support and improved query performance.
- This solution drives business performance by enabling business users to perform self-service BI quickly, securely and directly within the familiarity of the Excel interface.
- Simba is the industry’s choice for standards-based relational and multi-dimensional data connectivity.
Latest Release Highlights New Data Analysis Capabilities and Increased Performance
- Simba MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP 3.0 introduces:
- Sub-query support, allowing users to better follow progressive questioning and data analysis with queries that narrow in on relevant information to support business decisions, such as asking “what are my top five items from my top 20 customers”;
- Support for Named Set functionality within Excel, which allows users to form associative groups and pre-defined data queries for faster information retrieval and analysis, as well as easier creation of asymmetric reports;
- Support for customizable report layouts, freeing users from more structured cross-tab or PivotTable reports;
- Improved drill-through support, enabling users to easily breakdown aggregated data within Excel for auditing or more detailed analysis;
- Up to four times faster performance, in part from the introduction of a smarter cache and more efficient query generation.
- An easy to install, client-side driver, MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP 3.0 supports Excel 2010, 2007 and 2003, as well as all releases of Oracle Database 11g.
- Oracle OLAP stores multi-dimensional data directly within the Oracle Database enabling customers to take advantage of the database’s performance and security capabilities. Oracle OLAP is an option to Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition.
- Oracle OLAP can be deployed with Oracle Exadata Database Machine to dramatically improve performance of queries.
- MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP 3.0 is developed using Simba’s leading MDX query language technology that’s embedded in several major BI vendors’ products.
- Simba Technologies Inc. is a member of the Oracle PartnerNetwork.
“Analyzing Oracle OLAP data within a spreadsheet is made easy with the MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP,” said Andy Goldberg, vice president of Oracle OLAP Technology Management. “Customers can expect enhanced data analysis and performance capabilities in this latest release while taking advantage of the security and performance of Oracle Database 11g. When using Oracle OLAP with Oracle Exadata, customers can achieve extreme performance of complex analytic queries accessing multi-dimensional data.”
“Simba MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP is the de facto solution for connecting Microsoft Excel to Oracle OLAP,” said Amyn Rajan, Simba’s CEO. “Simba MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP enables secure and easy self-service BI for everyday users using the most familiar tool in the business person’s toolbox – Microsoft Excel. It’s a must-have solution for anyone working with data in Excel spreadsheets. Users gain native Excel connectivity to Oracle OLAP data with no special BI training and no extra hardware or maintenance needed.”
About Simba Technologies Inc.
Simba Technologies (http://www.simba.com) is the recognized world leader in standards-based data access products, solutions and services for both relational and multi-dimensional data sources. Simba provides data connectivity solutions to many of the world’s leading companies on various platforms, including Windows, Mac, UNIX, Linux and many mobile device platforms. Simba’s data connectivity products support multiple interfaces, including ODBC, JDBC, OLE DB, OLE DB for OLAP (ODBO), XML for Analysis (XMLA), ADO, ADO.NET, ADOMD and ADOMD.NET.
Simba’s software is used worldwide. Its customers include leading independent software vendors and global enterprises like Oracle®, Microsoft®, Infor®, SAP® and Teradata®.
About Oracle OpenWorld
Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco, the information technology event dedicated to helping businesses optimize existing systems and understand upcoming technology breakthroughs, draws more than 45,000 attendees from 117 countries. Oracle OpenWorld 2011 offers more than 2000 educational sessions, 400 product demos, exhibitions from 475 partners showcasing applications, middleware, database, server and storage systems, industries, management and infrastructure – all engineered for innovation. Oracle OpenWorld 2011 is being held October 2-6 at The Moscone Center in San Francisco. For more information please visit www.oracle.com/openworld. Watch Oracle OpenWorld live on YouTube for keynotes, sessions and more at www.youtube.com/oracle.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world’s most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems company. For more information about Oracle, visit http://www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.