Creating a Data Source Name
Typically, after installing the Simba HBase ODBC Driver, you need to create a Data Source Name (DSN).
Alternatively, for information about DSN-less connections, see Using a Connection String.
To create a Data Source Name:
- Open the ODBC Administrator:
- If you are using Windows 7 or earlier, click Start > All Programs > Simba HBase ODBC Driver 1.1 > ODBC Administrator.
- Or, if you are using Windows 8 or later, on the Start screen, type ODBC administrator, and then click the ODBC Administrator search result.
In the ODBC Data Source Administrator, click the Drivers tab, and then scroll down as needed to confirm that the Simba HBase ODBC Driver appears in the alphabetical list of ODBC drivers that are installed on your system.
Make sure to select the ODBC Data Source Administrator that has the same bitness as the client application that you are using to connect to HBase.
- To create a DSN that only the user currently logged into Windows can use, click the User DSN tab.
- Or, to create a DSN that all users who log into Windows can use, click the System DSN tab.
In the Create New Data Source dialog box, select Simba HBase ODBC Driver and then click Finish. The Simba HBase ODBC Driver DSN Setup dialog box opens.
In the Data Source Name field, type a name for your DSN.
Optionally, in the Description field, type relevant details about the DSN.
It is recommended that you create a System DSN instead of a User DSN. Some applications load the data using a different user account, and might not be able to detect User DSNs that are created under another user account.
- In the Host field, type the name or IP address of the host where your HBase instance is running.
- In the Port field, type the number of the TCP port that the server uses to listen for client connections.
The default port used by HBase is 9090.
- In the Authentication area, configure authentication as needed. For more information, see Configuring Authentication.
- If you are connecting to HBase through the Apache Knox Gateway, in the HTTP Path field, type the partial URL corresponding to the HBase server.
- To configure an SSL connection, click SSL Options. For more information, see Configuring SSL Verification.
SSL connections are supported only if you are connecting to HBase through the Apache Knox Gateway.
- To configure advanced driver options, click Advanced Options. For more information, see Configuring Advanced Options.
- To customize the schema definition that the driver uses when connecting to a data source, click Schema Definition. For more information, see Modifying a Schema Definition.
- To configure logging behavior for the driver, click Logging Options. For more information, see Configuring Logging Options.
- To test the connection, click Test. Review the results as needed, and then click OK.
If the connection fails, then confirm that the settings in the Simba HBase ODBC Driver DSN Setup dialog box are correct. Contact your HBase server administrator as needed.
- To save your settings and close the Simba HBase ODBC Driver DSN Setup dialog box, click OK.
- To close the ODBC Data Source Administrator, click OK.